The Production supervisor directs all employees’ activities and resources to effectively meet performance standards outlined in the operational goals and objectives to meet their requirements on the business score card. Supervisors objectivities must be met through 100% compliance and administration of company policies, work procedures and business systems. Supervisors must have a strong desire to be proactive and react with a high level of professionalism and urgency when dealing with critical situations that affect employees and/or equipment in meeting performance standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must conduct and proactively participate in the resolution and successful completion of all compliance audits, business systems and operation standards. Audits include Line Process Audits (LPA’s), TS 16949, safety, inventory and daily production rates.
- Assigns labor to meet production schedule for 100% on time delivery. Troubleshoots, evaluates and assess equipment/resources problems along with technical manufacturing personnel to reprioritize work schedule and maintenance of equipment. Working to prevent downtime and excessive overtime needs.
- Works with key manufacturing personnel to resolve and improve current processes and procedures.
- Respond to all quality issues in accordance to company policy and practices for containment & disposition issues.
- Manages nonconforming material (NCM) process and completes corrective actions to stay in compliance of quality procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe, productive and fair working environment for all employees by adhering to all company policies and procedures.
- Evaluate, assess, identify, and develop key skill traits outlined in employee’s skill tier evaluations for all operators and technical personnel.
- Must maintain 100% on time compliance of reviews and skill evaluations in order to maintain a highly effective work force.
- Works with Human resources to ensure all department training and new employee orientation activities are in compliance.
- Any and all other duties assigned
- This position is responsible for the supervision of machine operators and technical support staff.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Overall knowledge of Die Cast and CNC Machining processes including but not limited to, setup, process improvement, programming, maintenance, tool repair, tool design, part design and machining. Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Ability to address challenges and problems within the scope of department-wide procedures and practices and choose the best alternative from among the possibilities while continually improving processes, equipment and workforce.
- Ability to participate in decision making process in close collaboration with all those involved in the process.
- Established Department-wide policies and practices are interpreted and applied under general managerial direction.
- Effective verbal writing skills are necessary when coaching, disciplining, documenting and mentoring employees. Participates in the hiring in the hiring process of department personnel.
- Ability to actively persuade or direct others toward achievement of expected outcomes.
- Ability to provide guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Ability to coach, motivate and train employees in a safe and efficient manner Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
Education and/or Experience
- College degree or equivalent experience in a related field preferred.
- Five or more years of experience working in a manufacturing environment, preferably within the automotive sector.
- Proven track record of providing leadership to teams, peers, direct reports.
- Formal training in administering company policies including but not limited to sexual harassment, interviewing and disciplinary action.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Programs utilized within the department are PLEX (labor and attendance), Visa-Track, e-Factory Pro (maintenance reporting system), Excel, Word, Access and Outlook.
- High School Diploma or equivalency (HSED or GED).
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk, bend, use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Occasionally lift and/or move 20 or more pounds.
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude in a fast-paced environment.
- The work environment involves moderate risks or discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g., working around moving machines in production facilities.
- Protective clothing or gear such as safety glasses/goggles, gloves and shoes may be required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hot and cold temperature variables with extreme humidity contingent on weather conditions.
- The noise level in the manufacturing work environment requires the use of hearing protection.