We are excited to partner with our client, as they have a full-time opening for a Senior Product Development Engineer in Jackson, Michigan. This position offers a competitive base salary and excellent benefits (that start day one!!) Please see a detailed job description below. We hope to hear from you today!!
Senior Product Development Engineer – Injection Moldings
The Senior Product Development Engineer is expected to collaborate with marketing, quality, and manufacturing representatives to successfully launch new products with a focus on injection molding and extrusion. This engineer is expected to use their skills to design products that meet customer needs while coordinating tooling builds and plant trials. The Senior Product Development Engineer is expected to use fundamental engineering principles, along with quality methodology, to reduce risk and ensure a successful product launch.
- Develop and design new products; project management, and seeing product development through from design phase to launch. Inclusive of capturing patent disclosures, evaluation of product/design, demonstrating feasibility, and final testing for performance and aesthetics.
- Proficient at leading a team through product development launch while keeping project on schedule, ensuring expectations are met, and documenting results to present to leadership for approval prior to launch.
- Coordinate the design and fabrication of large-scale injection molds and extrusion tooling for production while working with purchasing as point of contact for tooling vendors.
- Lead vendor audits, prepare statements of work (SOW) for tool fabrication bids, and coordinate with CAPEX Center of Excellence (COE).
- Maintain an awareness of competitor’s products using bench marking, patents, and searches.
- Partner with manufacturing team for process optimization and to debug/repair issues with production molds/extrusion tools.
- Develop and implement solutions for future quality improvements and cost reduction.
- Partner with the plant to determine proper packaging and shipping requirements.
- PhD / Master of Science in mechanical engineering with at least 5 years of relevant industry experience. Or, a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering will be considered with 10 years of experience.
- Demonstrated track record in the design of injection molded and/or extruded parts using CAD (Solid Edge or equivalent).
- Experience in the design and coordination of injection mold fabrication.
- Experience in the modeling of polymer flow (e.g. Moldflow/Fluent) and other basic finite element analysis (FEA) to evaluate part design.
- Must have demonstrated project management experience as well as leadership experience in managing product development, and leading project teams.
- Experience with product design methodology/tools (DOE, DFMEA, GD&T, 3D printing).
- Proficient in statistical analysis of data (MiniTab or equivalent) and MS-Office.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and hands-on.
- Strong attention to detail and can work independently or as part of a team.
- This position involves travel (over 25% at times)